TODAY my church is hosting a fishing derby. I’m trying hard to catch some fish, but so far that’s not happening 😂! This blog came to my mind while waiting for a fish to bite, so I’m sharing it again today!🐠
Suppose you had two jars. One is your “Worry” jar, and the other is your “Trust God” jar. For most of us, our Worry Jar would be overflowing, and our Trust God jar would be empty or at best slightly full.
But is that how God wants us to handle our worries and cares? Not at all! He tells us to “cast” them on Him. I’m not a fisherwoman :), but I have gone fishing before. Except for the time I whipped my pole back and caught my dad’s shirt, my line goes in the water. Casting your cares is like casting your fishing line. You rear back and throw your anxieties as far as you can. When you do, you catch God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can or will ever understand!
Unlike real fishing, you do not have to wait for hours before receiving His peace. You receive His peace immediately UNLESS you jerk your line out of the water and reel it back in with the worm still on the hook. You HAVE to leave it until you catch the fish!
Did you know the sign for Jesus is the sign of the fish? The early church met in secret. They didn’t post their church times, but what they did do when meeting someone would be to make the sign of the fish to determine if they were friend or foe. One person would make the top of the fish, and the other person would make the bottom part, creating a symbol like this
Jesus is our Peace. Where He is there is no room for worries and anxieties. It’s impossible for the three to reside together. When we worry, we do not experience His peace, and when we experience His peace, we are not worrying.
Take a moment and
- Write all your worries on separate sticky notes
- Get your Bible and look up the following scriptures
- Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all of our understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- 1 Peter 5:7, “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 “Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all!”
- Isaiah 26:3 “The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace because he trusts in You.”
Once you have read through the verses
- Pray (talk) to Jesus about what’s bothering you
- Ask for His peace
- Decide to trust Him
- Throw away the sticky notes
Throughout the day, when you are feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders, do not hesitate to post your “gone fishing sign,” cast your worries on Jesus and catch His peace.