You can spend a lot of time “praying about” things and not know if you’re praying about the right thing! When I go to the Lord in prayer, I want to know that my prayers agree with the heart of God.
Praying the heart of God comes from reading, knowing, and memorizing the Word of God. Unless you know God’s thoughts on a matter, how will you know how to pray?
When I pray according to Scripture, I know without a doubt that my prayers are in 100% agreement with God’s will.
II Thessalonians 3:1-5 is a powerful scripture to pray over your family, church, friends, believers, missionaries, people in other countries, people you don’t know, and yourself.
“Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we ask you to pray for us. Pray that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes, just as when it came to you. Pray, too, that we will be rescued from the wicked and evil people, for not everyone is a believer. But the Lord is faithful; He will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. And we are confident in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we commanded you. May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.”
From these verses alone, we can know the heart of God and how to pray:
- Pray for one another
- Pray that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly
- Pray that the Lord’s message will be honored wherever it goes
- Pray for others to be rescued from wicked and evil people
- Pray for everyone to become a believer
- Thank God for His faithfulness
- Pray for His strength to guard you from the evil one
- Pray to continue to do all the things God has commanded you to do
- Pray for the Lord to lead your heart into a full undersanding and expression of the love of God
- Pray to know the patient endrance that comes from Christ
When I read Scripture that leads me to pray, I write it on a notecard, then I file it in my card file to remind me to pray frequently and specifically for the things that matter to God. Knowing that I have prayed the heart of God adds life, excitement, and confidence to my prayers as I wait expectantly for Him to answer!
Great is God’s Faithfulness! Deb