Do you know the meaning of your name?
My parents named me Deborah and nicknamed me Debbie after Debbie Reynolds, a famous movie star in the ’50s. Over time, friends and family have shortened my name to Deb.
Growing up, I never thought my name was unique because most of the girls in my class, and I shared the same name. When I was in the 5th grade, I was determined to change my name to Kim. It sounded nice, it was easy to spell, and I only knew one girl named Kim and she didn’t go to my school. When I told my mom that’s what I wanted to do, she said, “Okay, but you’ll need $15 to change your name.” Really!? She didn’t know how much it cost, but what she did know was that I didn’t have $15! I had no idea she was fabricating, but since moms know everything, I believed her and dropped it!
Today, I’m glad I didn’t have $15, or however much it cost, to change my name because I know God picked my name. He created my inmost being, knit me together in my mother’s womb, and I am fearfully and wonderfully made! (Psalm 139:13-14). He didn’t name me Deborah because I was destined to become a famous movie star. God called me Deborah because He knew I was going to be a bee, yes, a bee! A swarm of bees and one who works like a bee, and I BEElieve the name fits!
In Biblical times, a name represented a person’s character. In the Bible, we find several names of God. Each name describes a different aspect of God’s many-faceted character, attributes, and nature.
How well do you know God? To know God’s name is to know God and to boast in His name is to have confidence in who He is! “Some boast in chariots, and some in horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, Our God” (Psalms 20:7).
God wants us to run to Him and walk with Him. Not only when we need healing, peace, or guidance, but all the time! “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe” (Proverbs 18:10).
Natalie Grant sings, More Than Anything and the chorus goes like this:
Help me want the Healer more than the healing
Help me want the Savior more than the saving
Help me want the giver more than the giving
Oh help me want you, Jesus, more than anything
God is and desires to be our Everything; Provider, Healer, Peace, Righteousness, Shepherd, and sooooo much more!
Do you know Him as your:
- El Elyon, The Most High God Deuteronomy 26:19
- Elohim, Creator Genesis 17:7; Jeremiah 31:33
- Jehovah-nissi, The Lord My Banner Exodus 17:15
- Jehovah-jireh, The Lord Will Provide Genesis 22:14
- Jehovah-shalom, The Lord is Peace Judges 6:24
- Jehovah-Sabaoth, The Lord of Hosts Isaiah 1:24; Psalm 46:7
- El Shaddai, The All-Sufficient One Genesis 49:24;
- Adonai, Lord, Master Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15
- Yahweh, Lord (Jehovah) Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14
- Jehovah-mekoddishkem, The Lord Who Sanctifies You Leviticus 20:8; Ezekiel 37:28
- El Olam, The Everlasting God Psalm 90:1-3
- Jehovah-raah, The Lord My Shepherd Psalm 23:1
- Jehovah-rapha, The Lord that Healeth Exodus 15:26
- Jehovah-shammah, The Lord is There Ezekiel 48:35
- Jehovah-tsidkenu, The Lord Our Righteousness Jeremiah 33:16)
- El Roi, God of Seeing Genesis 16:13
- El Gibhor, Mighty God Isaiah 9:6)