This morning in my Quiet Time with Jesus, I prayed, “Lord, help me love You more today than I did yesterday.” After I sent up that prayer, I asked myself, “If it’s possible to love Jesus more tomorrow, does it mean that I could have loved Him more today and didn’t?” Answering “yes” saddens me to know I fell short of loving Him with all my heart, soul, and mind today and accepting “no” confirms that I loved Him completely, but by whose standard.
Is it possible to love Jesus more today than yesterday, or less tomorrow than today? How do I even know that I love Jesus? How does Jesus know that I love Him? Is it because I say, “I love you, Jesus”? So, what is the answer? I do not think you or I have the answer, but I know who does. God.
Jesus said, “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” Jesus set the love bar, the love standard; keeping His commandments, and there is only one way to knowing what those commandments are, and that road is the Bible.
You may be thinking which commandments. All of them! How is that possible? Jesus summed up the law into two commandments that are easy to remember, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
To answer my question, “Is it possible to love God more today than yesterday?” Yes, it is, but it is also possible to love God less today than yesterday because we show Him that we love Him when we obey Him. The fact that God gave us commandments to follow is evidence of His love for us. He wants to protect us and show us how to live.
- His commandments are not burdensome: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:3
- His commandments give life: “Keep my commandments and live, and my teaching as the apple of your eye.” Proverbs 7:2
- His commandments keep us from sin: “Your Word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.”
- His commandments save and keep us: “Be to me a rock of habitation to which I may continually come; You have given commandment to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress.” Psalm 71
It is impossible to out-love God, and it is impossible to love God back until you know Jesus; not know “about” Him, but know Him as your Lord and Savior. I know that to be true, too, because the Bible tells me so.
- “This is real love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.” I John 4:10
- “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
- “For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent His Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through Him.” John 3:16-17.
God tells us, and He demonstrates His love toward us, and that is how we are to respond back to Him. “If you love Me, you will keep my commandments.” John 14:15. I pray tonight when you and I rest our head on our pillow, we will hear the Lord say, “You loved Me well today.”